Many people go through the experience of getting wisdom teeth extracted. They can tell in better way how painful the experience can be. Well, there is no denying the fact that tooth extraction can be painful but it doesn’t mean that recovery has to be painful too. There are a few ways you can ensure faster recovery after getting your tooth extracted.
Things you can expect after the wisdom tooth removal
In order to have comfort after the surgery, you need to know what can happen after the surgery. This knowledge can help you prevent anxiety which usually occurs in the post-surgery scenario. Within 24 hours after surgery, you may start to have pain and swelling in the cheeks and eyes. This swelling can worsen in the next 72 hours. However, it doesn’t really mean that you should not do anything to get comfort. In the first 48 hours, you can apply ice pack to the swollen area. Keep the icepack applied for 15 minutes and give a break of 15 minutes. After 48 hours, ice pack is not going to be effective. So you will need to shift to the use of heat pack.
After the wisdom tooth removal surgery, the surgery site is going to bleed for a few hours. Then a blood clot will be produced. This blood clot will stop the bleeding. Make sure that you are not tempering with the clot as this tempering can lead to the dry socket which can be pretty dangerous.
Things you can do to accelerate healing process
- First of all, you will have to make sure that your mouth is clean. While you can brush your teeth the night after surgery, you will have to avoid rinsing your mouth till the next day. In the next day, you can rinse your mouth with salt water.
- If your dentist has prescribed painkillers and antibiotics, you have to make sure that you are completing the dosages.
- In order to reduce the bleeding, you can use a teabag. A moist teabag can be put in the surgical site. Then you will have to bite on it. It contracts the blood vessels, leading to reduced bleeding.
- After the surgery, you will have to make sure that you get a lot of rest. You should not put yourself in stress for at least 24 hours after the surgery.
- You will have to make sure that your diet helps you during the healing process. Eat soft foods which you will not have to chew.
Apart from that, you have to make sure that you are not using tobacco for at least 48 hours before and after the surgery. Same goes for the alcohol consumption. While you are healing, you will need to take extra care of your oral hygiene. Stay in contact with your dentist.